Sunday, October 19, 2008

Liars had better not change their minds

Lily is experimenting with lying. It is either a preschool age thing or else a preschool attending thing as she is telling the same kinds of lies as all of the kids in my preschool class. My personal favorite lie is when a child walks across the room not paying attention, trips over their own feet or another child and points at the closest child and says, "teacher, he/she pushed me!" So, Emily was blamed for knocking Lily down several times this week. I explained to Lily that it is wrong to tell lies. I assumed that this would take several more attempts before she really understood it. So, imagine my surprise when Lily asked me a question, I said no, and then changed my mind. Lily immediately responded, "Mommy, why are you lying? Lying is wrong and I don't like to be lied to." I tried to explain that it's not lying if you say no to a drink and then change your mind, but Lily wasn't buying it at all. I'm sure when it suits her she'll come on board, so I'll let you know the next time I tell her no lying and she says she just changed her mind. For now in our home, apparently you get one shot at a drink, and them you had better stick with your answer.

1 comment:

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

I laughed out loud about this story. Good luck to you and Lily with this new concept of lying. It still doesn't make sense to me sometimes, with white lies and such!