Thursday, November 6, 2008

So WHAT are you entitled to????

**
**********************************I went to pick Emily up from play practice this afternoon. As I waited for her, an old beat up car pulled up. The driver and passenger stopped their car in the middle of the road going the wrong way on a one way and four small children scrambled into the car. I waited for them to realize their mistake and after a few minutes decided that not only were they unaware that they were driving/sitting the wrong direction. so, I pulled up to them. They noticed that we were now head to head and motioned me to back up out of their way. One of the women got out of the car and agressively came up to me and told me to move. I told her that they were going the wrong way and that they needed to back up. They proceeded to tell me that they have rights and I had better move. I told her that they didn't have the right to drive the wrong way down a one way or to cause an accident. They insisted that they weren't going to move so I made a phone call. Afraid i was calling the police or ticked that I didn't care, they turned their car around- at which point I notice that they are missing their bumper and have numerous dents. They then roll down the window and tell me that they are facing the right way and aren't going to move. I told them that i was fine with me but probably not the 4 cars behind me, at which point they drive off.

So, what ticks me off isn't that these people are made a mistake, but that they felt that everyone else had to move (illegally backing up a one way) to make room for them and felt "entitled" to drive the way they wanted. They are not only poor drivers but have a misguided sense of the civil liberties.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I seem to run into more and more of those people all of the time. Reason # 1,254,739 that I can't wait to get out of CA - you make me saddened though to see that it appears to have spread past the state lines :0)

Anonymous said...

They tried to intimidate you.

They failed miserably.

Good show!

Chris

Unknown said...

Sorry about the problem. I have at times driven the wrong way on the one ways downtown and the first car I see coming at me wakes me up and I realize I am wrong. I was dringin the righrt way by the post office and this car came at me head on and I am waving at them and I had to move to not hit them.
We are not entitled to anything we do not work for ourselves and I worry about the state of a nation that believes they are entitled to more then Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

TStevens said...

Next time just get the bloody hell out of my way woman!!!

meredith said...

LOL, actually, Tstevens, it was two women so you're off the hook...

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

They sound like illegal immigrants.

I guess that makes me an evil person for thinking that.

meredith said...

LOL, they might have been, but I doubt it. Our town has a pretty good number number of immigrants from Africa and they didn't say enough for me to pick up an accent, but most likely it was just two over entitled women who feel like I was disrespecting them. In reality I was because once they knew they were driving the wrong way, they still insisted that they had right, and at that point I have no respect for anyone. I WAS still polite though.

meredith said...

Someone has complained because I said these 2 women might be immigrants from Africa. Obviously the complainer is not from here or they would understand that in actuality we do have a large number of African immigrants who would find being called an "African American" insulting because they are not Americans. Just imagine calling a French exchange student a "French American". So, I stand by the fact that these women might have been African immigrants, or they might have just been poor american drivers. either way they were being stupid- and no race has the corner on stupidity.