Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Simple ways to Save (which may or may not be fun)

Please share your simple ways to save money on this post. Any trick you have that is not illegal or immoral would be appreciated. Here are a few of my ideas:
*Set a budget before you go shopping and then take your budgetted amount in cash and leave all other payment methods at home. This actually terrifies me so much that I almost always come in well under budget, but a couple times I was really worried I was going to have to put something back at the grocery store. For me, this is not easy or fun to do, but absolutely works.
*Shop at Home First. This is from Cindy's porch and it is a great idea. Look around your home and use what you have before you buy new. A basket that's now too small to hold Lily's toys is now holding our wii remotes/ etc. A Planter that held flowers when Emily was born (9 years ago today) now holds all of our loose change. Thinks about what you need and then look to see if you always have it.
*Be proud to support our enviroment. Our cars are an 89 and a 94. They aren't sitting in a landfill somewhere taking up space and we aren't saddled with a car payment. They are paid off and practically free. Reuse gift bags. A great group of friends never signs the little cards attached to gift bags. We'll see the same bags at every birthday for a year or more. We're saving the landfills from bags and our wallets from wrappings. It's a ton of fun.
* Free cycle- believe in the karma- what goes around comes around. We have given away all of the following since we moved into our home: a couch, 2 entertainment centers, 2 vacuums, a stereo case, a crib and mattress, a gas grill and tank, tons of baby clothes, and so much more. We've mostly marked items free and put them on our curb and they are gone, usually in less than an hour. We've done this because in most cases, we're replacing the outgoing item with a newer one that someone else has given us. My girls can play the piano because friends gave us their old one, our basement couch is fabulous for the same reason, and Lily dresses so well because another friend has given us all of their daughter's clothes. If giving your item away is a possibility, then think about doing it rather than selling it. It feels fabulous to watch the joy on someone's face when they get something they need for free.
These are all of my current idea. PLEASE add yours!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

If you really want to not spend so much I'd be happy to provide you with my address - just sent me the cash you would spend if you went shopping :0)

meredith said...

Thanks Tara, but I consider giving money to be spending money, but you're on the list of "People to give $100 to when a huge windfall comes my way" :)

meredith said...

Our goals for groceries is $100 per week. I spent $99.48 today. I didn't even have cash, but I had the goal firmly in my mind. :)

Anonymous said...

change the oil regularly on cars- and try to keep up with home maintenence before little problems get big (especially water related). Learned this the hard way ( actually, still learning-and learning...)

AnnieBanany

Anonymous said...

Our town wide recycling center has a swap shop where everyone can bring items they can't use and others who can- take them home. One of the permanent items there is a giant cardboard box filled with shipping peanuts and wrapping plastic- people save theirs and dump them in- when I need some for mailing, I take home a bag. It is great, and saves lots of $. You could do the same in a neighborhood or your own garage. Anne

Anonymous said...

Dried out brown sugar can be made fresh and useable again by storing it in a closed container for awhile with a cut up apple.