Thursday, June 11, 2009

He really takes the cake....




Here is our 1st really big "oh crap" moment of dog ownership. After spending about 4 hours last night baking 2 cakes so that we could make Lily the doll cake she swanted for her birthday, Sam ate them. So, in the middle of getting ready for Lily's party today, I dropped everything and went to Walmart and purchased 2 caked there so I could feed the masses (14 3-5 year olds). Then, on the way home I calmed down enough to worry about Sam. So I could the vet who informed me that really, that much cake- especially chocolate isn't good for any dog, and since Sam already has allergies it's even worse. So, I got to give Sam 2 tsp of hydrogen peroxide (1 tsp per 35 lbs of dog in case you ever need to try it.) And wait for him to expel it. I couldn't believe how much cake he had actually eaten until I had to clean it up. It was a very nasty experience. And now of course, his ears are REALLY stinking!
BTW- a very HUGE I love you and thank you to Vanessa, who's 2nd response (the 1st of course was a LOT of laughter), was to ask if she could bake Lily a new cake. Since she had just moved into her new home this week, I went with the Walmart option, but it's great to have a friend who would seroiusly drop everything to bake a cake for Lily.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok - note to self. No dogs until kids are teens. :0)

meredith said...

or just don't leave a cake on the counter............

Grandma said...

Maybe feed the dog before you bake the cake?
I am glad to know the bit about hydrogen peroxide. Now when I have a sick dog, I will try. Of course, ours can't jump up that high!