Thursday, June 18, 2009

2nd Oh crap moment of Dog ownership
















That Sam is still alive is due to Shawn's great sense of self control- and his desire not to have our daughters in tears for weeks because he killed the dog. This evening Shawn took Sam for a bike ride. We did this last weekend with Shawn holding on to Sam and pulling Lily in her bike trailer and it was a great experience. Tonight Shawn went alone with Sam and they rode quite fast. At on point, they were going REALLY fast and Sam saw a rabbit. Sam chased the rabbit even though it caused him to pass right in front of Shawn's bike and continued to chase the rabbit even as Shawn started falling on him. Shawn hit the payment with his chin and arms and damaged his bike as well. Sam, however was not at all hurt and in fact continues to chase the rabbit. Shawn had to walk the bike and dog about a mile to get home.
He came home as I was return from chasing down the women who brought Charlie home from camp because 1/2 our stuff was still in the van. Shawn's car was so full of camp stuff that I could not get him to the ER until I moved some of it. Even though that took a minute and he was in severe pain, Shawn refused to go to the ER until I took pictures of him. (the pre ER pics are the ones w/o bandages). The whole time we were at the ER Shawn kept telling me that I would need to take post pics and blog this ASAP. Since he is in considerable pain, I readily agreed.
So we are home now and he's doped up on vicodin and ibuprofin and luckily didn't break anything. Still he's probably staying home from work tomorrow since both hands are bandaged and his chin is so nasty. BTW- the black eye is from earlier this week from a basketball game.
Special thanks to Sarah who dropped everything to come over and get the kids to bed. I told that she could leave right away since Charlie was there, but when the ER told us that it looked like tornadoes were on the way, we asked her to stay until we were done. (And it's kind of freaky to have the nurses pulling out all the flashlights) and then she came and jumped Shawn's car b/c I left the lights on. I owe you big time.
And yes Nessa, I totally know you would have come but you've just moved and got hurt last week yourself so we asked Sarah.

23 comments:

Renee Anderson said...

Oh My Gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh My Gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh My Gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

meredith said...

Everyone kept asking him if his black black eye was from biking as well..... Shawn'a answer was that his black eye was from basketball, so we protected the innocent(???)

mcgaelicgal said...

Oh good grief! Quite the exciting week you've had! Hope this weekend is LOW-KEY and RESTFUL!

Glad everyone's OK.

Love to you all!! xoxoxoxoxo...Kirs

mcgaelicgal said...

PS. I have to laugh, tho'...Shawn's bleeding and in pain, and he's worried about the blog?! You guys are getting WAAAY too into this whole online thing!! ;-p (She says as she puffs her nebulizer while planted firmly in front of the computer.)

Shawn said...

I'm lazy - I admit it freely and readily. I know Meredith does a great job of telling the stories of our lives, and the pics are rather good, so now all I have to do is copy and paste the link to this posting to tell people what happened. Wait, is that laziness of efficiency?

meredith said...

HMMMmmm.now I understand you making me take the pics and blog your adventure last night. That way you could just send people here yourself. Pretty crafty Mr. Martin.

Unknown said...

Yuck I'm sorry.

Unknown said...

Ouch! Glad to see that he's going to be ok though.

Ya'll sure are accident prone up there in MN :0)

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

Yikes!

If I had gotten suckered into getting the dog, this would be enough excuse for me to get rid of him. I don't really like dogs much (and that's an understatement). I'm surprised you've still kept him!

Nessa said...

I think that it's really sweet of you guys to "claim" that it was a bike accident, when we all know that you just abuse that man of yours mercilessly! :) Sorry that he's hurt and hey...tell him to enjoy the drugs!

meredith said...

Nessa,

I would never leave evidence of abuse. I hit him in the back and on his legs with a phone book wrapped in a towel and feed him rabbit food to punish him. I get queasy at the sight of that much blood.......

Nessa said...

Good...as long as you've thought this out! But, now we have proof that your abuse is premeditated!

TStevens said...

In a few weeks this is going to be really funny.

Not yet though?

meredith said...

no, not funny yet.

anordinarylife said...

Have I told you are a very very patient woman? Heal quickly Shawn.

TStevens said...

Now?

Ashley said...

Geesh...I leave town for a week and all hell breaks loose in Austin! I cannot believe those pictures...kind of gross! I am glad everyone got through that day okay.

meredith said...

nope not funny yet.

grandma camp said...

My poor handsome son! To think you made it through your entire childhood without any physical scars and then in the prine (?) of your adulthood, you FALL OFF OF A BIKE? Blame the dog all you'd like, but I say its slowing reflexes from the aging process.
I love you!

Jamie Martin said...

This exactly the reason I keep telling the kids that they can have a fish if they really want a pet. That is about as much of an animal as I can handle right now..

meredith said...

Jamie you're such a great mom. Your kids (and Jeremy) are so lucky to have you. Stick with the fish for awhile. my rule was no one in diapers when we got a dog. It was a great rule :)

Unknown said...

It's totally funny now though

meredith said...

does your wife know that you're posting under her name? And no as the bills come piling in, it's still not funny yet.