Thursday, September 11, 2008

Just Say No

I have been working with a couple of women to put together our school fund raiser, "The Walk-a-thon". At our PTC meeting on Tuesday, one of the women asked me if I would be able to write 2 letters. 1 to go on the envelopes the kids take home and one for each teacher. I thought about all I had to do this week- especially with Lily and I both starting preschool and said "No." I was so proud of myself. Then, after someone else volunteered to do the letters, I volunteered to staple the 431 letters to the envelopes if they could get the letters to me by Wednesday. Wednesday night I got a call. They were changing the prize levels and the letter was no longer accurate. All the information that I had given the principal needed to be replaced with new information and I would get the letters on Thursday. Still willing to be supportive, I said "Okay, just have the person who did the letters call me so I know where to pick them up. Today, I got a call from someone else telling that they had changed the levels again and I would need to get another new letter. That person had no idea where the letter would be. When I finally tracked it down this afternoon, imagine my surprise at finding out how they had "fixed" the letters- There were 500 address label stickers with the correct information on them and 1 put together as an example in case I couldn't figure it out. There was of course no note and NO ONE had actually asked me if I was willing to correct these mistakes that I never made. 6 hours later, the letters are ready to go out and I've perfected a very loud NO!!!!! for the next time someone asks me to do anything.............

4 comments:

Unknown said...

"No" does come in handy I have found. Good luck with the busy year. I am being really lazy this month. I know I will not have this kind of time on my hands soon, so I am enjoying my time at home alone.

Ashley said...

Good for you!!! YOu need to say NO!!!!!!! They should be finding people more like me who don't have much on their agendas hahahahahhaha!!!!!!

Nessa said...

You are too nice...I would have yelled "NO" at the top of my lungs! You are doing great, just DO NOT volunteer for anything else or I'll have to hurt you!

meredith said...

LOL. I am NOT volunteering for anything else. They added 4 additional pizza parties to the prize levels and I am not doing them at all. Someone else will need to volunteer for those :) Yes, Nessa shoot me in the head if I do anything besides the walk-a-thon and food for the carnival. And, it's my last year for both of those as well......