Friday, May 15, 2009

uncommonly common

Apparently Sam is a very distinct and unusual looking dog. His uncommon looks seem to be particularly common in our town, however. What makes Sam so unusual is that he is a lab/pointer mix who has a white spot on his chest. This makes him so unusual that people feel very comfortable telling me how they all know Sam. At Em's track and field day (pics to follow this weekend) a man approached me to ask where we got Sam. He's sure that Sam is the son of his sister's dogs. I explained that Sam was found loose in a town about 30 miles from here where his sister doesn't live, but he's sure that Sam must be one of her puppies who somehow got lost/abandoned. Then yesterday at school another girl approached me and asked me if Sam was the dog from track and fiels. When I said he was, she blurted out, "your dog got my dog pregnant!" Now, Sam has never been "lost" in the month that we've had him and he came to us already nuetered, so my answer was, "he's never off the lease and he's been altered." I repeated this 3 times before I finally said, "He can't have babies." This girl was a sweet 4th grader and very polite but insisted that Sam is "the one". I am pretty sure that "the one" is one of the other 2-3 lab/pointer mixes I sometimes see walking w/ their owners, or even more likely, the one I see running through the neighborhood.(The 1st time I saw him I ran to the back yard to make that Sam was still on his run playing fetch with Charlie. So, for all those people out there who think Sam's "the one" they know, he's probably not.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

That is too funny! Well until today I could proudly boast that my dog was miss obiedient and has never run away but this morning she ran away and followed some poor unsuspecting mother walking with her child all the way to the moose lodge area where some lady took her in and called me to let me know....I had no idea!! Noah is going to kill me...she is his baby!!!!!!!!! anyway...we are going to be working on that one.

Nessa said...

He IS the one! I think he got Ranger pregnant, and he tore-up my yard, as well as being the cause of the Swine Flu! He's the one I tell you!

meredith said...

If Sam's "the one" who got Ranger pregnant we sure could make a ton of money. It just makes me laugh. If lab pointer mixes are so unusual- why are there 4+ in my neighborhood????

meredith said...

BTW- Lily just said, it that a picture of Nessa? I like the picture of Nessa. She's pretty

Anonymous said...

Well, clearly your dog is a mix of my dogs. Take Missy's head, photoshop it to Max's body, and you get Sam

Uncle Chris

Nessa said...

Thanks Bean!