Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I didn't know.....







Well honestly I don't know a lot of thing, but in this post I'm talking about some of the changes I didn't know would happen when we got a dog. First, I didn't know that I would come to really treasure the early morning walks that Sam needs. This has become a very special time for Charlie (who is a true early bird, just like her grandpa Charlie) and I to walk and talk about all sorts of things that matter to young lady in her first year of middle school. Even today, we laughed so much as Charlie walked under her umbrella and Sam and I got soaked. I didn't know that I could drop everything right after lunch on most days to walk downtown and around the pond, stopping at the park. This is something that seems so unattainable since returning to work this fall, yet most days Lily, Sam and I make it. It's a delight to watch Lily squeal "Sam look, ducks!!!" and hear Sam bark back excitedly. I didn't know how much I missed time alone with Shawn. Our nightly walks have become the highlight of my day. I didn't know how much Ebay (our cat) loves us. Now he climbs on top of us purring as soon as Sam goes to bed. We know that we're loved.
There are a lot of other things i didn't know as well. I didn't know that dogs poop is much larger than people poop. It also stinks more and they poop 3 times a day on average. I also didn't know how hard it would be to master the "poop pick up". i have endured MANY a friend (or family member) bursting into laughter when they hear about how i got poop on my hand and/or got stuck carrying a bag of poop for a mile b/c there wasn't a trash can around.
I didn't know that dogs like butter and that it can not be left on the counter anymore.
I've learned that Sam doesn't like to take showers-but has no problem jumping into the town pond.
I've learned that Sam wants to be with us all the time -even if he's just going to nap
and I've learned that Shawn should not be allowed to feed Sam italian sausage unless he's going to walk the dog next time. (It goes back to all I've learned about poop)
So, I've learned a lot and love it so far. i imagine I'll have a different view of walks this winter....

3 comments:

Nessa said...

Yeah, call me when the windchill hits -20, and we'll see how much you are loving pet ownership! :)

Anonymous said...

You're a sucker for a loving "kid", and dogs qualify.

You're a good doggie mommie.

Uncle Chris

mcgaelicgal said...

Glad to see eBay is no longer hiding. :) And SO glad you're all enjoying your new family member! Can't wait to see how he does with his cousins!! ;-p

Love to you all! Aunt Kirsten